Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Different Kind of Lifeguard

As Miss South Dakota International 2012 I have made it my mission to educate as many people as possible through my platform, A Different Kind of Lifeguard: Blowing the Whistle on Depression, Self-Injury, and Suicide. In the United States someone commits suicide every 17 minutes. To me this is unacceptable as each of these deaths are completely preventable. Through this blog I hope to educate an even wider demographic outside of the South Dakota schools, hospitals, and media that I speak to. I in no way want to infer that I consider myself an expert on mental illness, but I am an expert on my own life, which has been greatly affected by a severe depressive disorder that I have fought over the past 11 years. My dream is to bring hope and inspiration to others living with mental illness. If I can affect one life, I will feel as if there is some sense in my having this disease. With this blog I will share my platform, philosophies on life, and aides that I have found helpful and inspiring. If you are reading this, please know that you are not alone, I am hoping that you realize I would not be writing this if I did not deeply care for you, even without knowing you, I care, even if it seems no one else does. Hang on because you will do great things, share your own story to inspire others and know that you - YOU - have the power to save a life.

No comments:

Post a Comment