Thursday, January 19, 2012

Outsiders: Misfits, Miscreants, and Monsters

When I speak to young people dealing with depression, I ask them what names they have been called at school. "Freak", "Emo", "Goth", "Weirdo" are classic answers that always assault my ears, these are the same words that I was called - among other things - when I was in junior high and high school. When a person is dealing with depression it is no surprise that they feel different from their peers, "Everyone else is happy, but I'm not. What is wrong with me that I'm so different?" The feeling of being different many times leads to dressing different, listening to music that isn't mainstream, watching movies that aren't sell outs at the box office; one can feel drawn to these things as an expression of what they are feeling inside. I am currently in a wonderful literature class called, "Outsiders: Misfits, Miscreants, and Monsters in Literature and Film." How wonderful to have an entire class dedicated to iconic characters that have been ostracized from society! To those of you who feel different, EMBRACE IT! Some of the most celebrated creative minds were not the most popular people in their high school, they defied norms and refused to hide their differences. Go and do the same! YOU have an interesting and unique story to tell, and if you have lived a difficult life, you have insight that many others do not possess. Refuse to listen to those words that others call you and replace them with words like, "Unique", "Creative", "Artistic", "Insightful." You are all of these things and you deserve to be recognized for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment